If you think someone has been poisoned, the number for the Poison Control Center is 1-800-222-1222. Help is only a phone call away!! The poison experts from the NJ Poison Center would like everyone to program this number into their cell phone.
Some poison prevention tips include:
Store Poisons Safely
- Store medications and household products locked up, where children cannot see or reach them.
- Store poisons in their original containers.
- Use child-resistant packaging. But remember--nothing is child-proof!!
Use Poisons Safely
- Read the label. Follow directions on medicines and products.
- Lock products and medicines up after using them.
- Is it medicine? Call it medicine, NOT candy.
- Children learn by imitation. Take your medicine where children can't watch.
Teach Children to Ask First
- Poisons can look like food or drink. Teach children to ask an adult before eating or drinking anything.