Evaluation Criteria for Applicants
National Honor Society
Saddle Brook Chapter - 2022
4 components of the application
- Scholarship – GPA 3.75 (weighted)
- must be obtained by end of Sophomore Year/1st MP of Junior Year
- Character – voted by every faculty member (2x per year)
- Service – 100 hours minimum (must be documented)
- Leadership – 3 points minimum (must be documented )
Junior Application Meeting mid-December of Junior Year
Junior Application Due Date: February 1st
Junior Applicants Notified 1st Week of March
Juniors who do not get accepted have a 2-week window to meet with NHS Advisors to discuss application and what areas need additional criteria; they will have the opportunity to update their application in October of Senior Year
Senior Update due by November 1st
Senior Notification 2nd week of November
Induction Ceremony takes place in the Spring of each year
Leadership (minimum 3 points needed)
- Documentation must be provided for ALL leadership activities whether or not they are school based.
- Documentation must be a letter written by a supervisor or official on the letterhead of the organization. The letter should include as many specific details as possible including, but not limited to, the duration of the leadership activity, the specific total time of commitment, and the responsibilities of the position.
- Students should collect all documentation relative to school activities during the academic year in which the activity occurs. This will prevent unverifiable documentation in the event that a staff member retires or resigns prior to the student application process.
One Full Point-any activity that lasts for 1 year (minimum 10 Months)
Editor Falcon Flyer – (layout /editorial/classified/managing editor)
Yearbook (see Mr. Klein)
Unicorn (literary magazine)
Financial Advisor Yearbook (see Mr. Klein)
President / Officer Student council
President / Officer Junior Class
Religious Education Teacher Assistant (must be for 10 months)
Girl Scout Silver Award
Troop Leader (not assistant)
Boy Scout Eagle Scout Award
Organize a Club Start a new club and maintain it for the school year
Girls’ or Boys’ State Delegates
Peer Tutor minimum of one hour per week for 8 months of the school year
Mayor’s Youth Group Participate in all activities for the year
0.5 Points – positions that last less than one year (10 months)
President / Officer Sophomore Class
Captain of a Varsity Sport (per Season)
Peer Tutor minimum of one hour per week for 5-7 months of the school year
Assistant Coach Rec Leagues (Examples: soccer, softball, baseball, dance instructor, track)
Summer Camp Counselor minimum 4 weeks
Summer Religious Education Teacher assistant; not VBS
Officer of a Club Must meet at least once per month such as Astronomy, Marine Science, SNHS, Environmental Club, Math Club, NJHS, Glamour Gals, etc.
Mayor’s Youth Group Officer Position for a minimum of one year (additional 0.5 pt)
.25 Points – all other positions
Band Section Leader
Facilitator Stem Con, Marsbrook, Invention Convention (must be part of planning and organizing the event, not just working the booth on the one day)
School Safety Team Student Member
Junior Achievement (per year); includes all JANJ activities/workshops
Captain of a JV/Freshman Sport
Peer Tutor minimum of one hour per week for 3-4 months of the school year
Falcon of the Week
Babysitting babysitting siblings is not included; must be a steady position (a maximum of 0.25 points can be earned)
Community Service (minimum 3 points needed)
Community Service Hours Points
- Validation must be provided for ALL Service Activities whether or not they are school based.
- A letter written by a supervisor/official must be submitted on the letterhead of the organization. The letter should include as many specific details as possible including, but not limited to, duration of service activity, responsibilities of position, etc.
- Approximately 50% of Service Hours should be for SBHS Organizations
- If you get paid, it is NOT COMMUNITY SERVICE!
All documentation should be sent to the applicant who will submit it with their application. NOTHING should be sent to the advisors.